Skip to Content

CrocFinancial Aid

If you are a financial aid recipient (that includes grants, loans and scholarships) you must meet with a financial aid advisor to see what aid is available to you for studying abroad. You must have submitted the FAFSA for them to be able to help you. Once you have chosen a program they can give you more specific advice. Advisors can tell you how much aid is available to you for summer programs in January, for fall and spring they will know after April 1st.

What’s Included in the Program Cost Estimates

For Faculty-Led Programs you can view an estimated budget for the entire program by going to the program page and clicking "Budget".

For Bilateral Exchanges you can view an estimated budget for the entire semester by going to the program page and clicking "Budget".

For CSUIP you can view an estimated budget for the entire year by clicking “costs” on the CSUIP website.

For 3rd Party Programs (USAC, CEA, etc.) some quoted program costs may not include airfare, housing, meals, etc. Make sure to do diligent research so you know the true cost of the program. Use of the Cost Comparison Worksheet is highly recommended.


Scholarships and other ideas for raising funds for studying abroad may be found at the following web sites. Most scholarships require certification by a Study Abroad Coordinator. If you are applying for a scholarship you must schedule a meeting with a Coordinator at least a week before the scholarship deadline to discuss the application. Certification is not guaranteed if this meeting does not take place.

The below list is not exhaustive and we encourage you to do independent research based on the location and semester you are looking to attend. If you find a scholarship you are eligible for, apply!

The Gilman Scholarship Program looks for diversity. HSU is a Hispanic Serving Institution - one of the Gilman diversity criteria. Other diversity categories include: ethnicity, disability, non-tradition student, LGBT, First Generation, STEM majors, low income etc. All you need is to be receiving a Pell Grant. Gilman does not ask for your GPA on the application! You do need to talk about diversity in your application  - otherwise the Gilman Scholarship reviewers will not know!
Gilman Scholarship Program
Fund for Education Abroad
Phi Kappa Phi Study Abroad Award
Boren Awards
Center for Global Education Study Abroad Scholarships
Institute of International Education Study Abroad Funding Financial Aid and Grants
PLATO (Project for Learning Abroad, Training & Outreach) Resources and Scholarships: Underrepresented Students
UAS7 - German Universities of Applied Science
Killam Fellowships Program - for study in Canada

USAC scholarships
All USAC participants will receive a $350 credit to their account once the full fee has been paid. Students may also receive an additional scholarship of $300 - $500.

CEA scholarships // grants
· $500 grant for each student participating in a yearlong program
· $200 grant for each student participating in a semester program
· $100 grant for each student participating in a summer program
Scholarships, payment plans, and more:
· CEA Scholarships -
· CEA Payment Plans -
· Applying Financial Aid to CEA Programs:
Travel Vouchers (Summer/Fall programs):
· To apply for the travel vouchers, students must use the promo codes at time of application.

Center for International Programs, Humboldt State University
1 Harpst Street, Arcata, CA 95521  (707) 826-4142
Humboldt Logo