Skip to content

What's a Credit Transfer Agreement?

Who needs a Credit Transfer Agreement (CTA) and where do I find it ?
Everyone is advised to complete a CTA.  This document is set up as an Adobe Sign document.  The Credit Transfer Agreement is set up as an Adobe Sign Form to assist you in routing for signatures without having to meet with advisors in person. 

If you are on-campus and prefer to collect signatures on a printed form, you can download and print the form by clicking: Credit Transfer Agreement

Why do I need to complete it?
By getting the classes you want to take abroad pre-approved you doing the work to stay on track in your major/minor/progress towards degree.  You are avoiding any confusion about how the units will count upon your return.

How do I get it signed off?
To assist you and faculty in completing your Credit Transfer Agreement the form has been set-up in Adobe Sign.  Instructions for using Adobe Sign for forms that require signature, please click HERE.  

Before you begin the Adobe Sign Form process, you should meet with the appropriate faculty or Registrar's Office staff to provide course descriptions of the classes at the host university that you think might meet your degree requirements. You should get their verbal/email approval before beginning the form routing.  You will need to contact your academic advisor for major/minor courses and/or the study abroad liaison in the Registrar's Office for any General Education (GEAR) requirements.  To contact the Registrar's Office you can email  You should plan to get more classes approved than you can take in case one of your choices is not offered.

Once you have a good idea of what courses will be approved, begin the Credit Transfer Agreement process in Adobe SignThe form can be accessed, HERE.

What happens if I change classes?
If you decide to take a course that was not signed off on your credit transfer agreement before you left you can still get this course approved. Simply e-mail your academic advisor (for major or minor classes) or the study abroad liaison in the Registrar's Office ( for any General Education/GEAR courses. You will need to include the course title and the course description (links are fine) and ask how it can be used towards your degree requirements. If you already have a syllabus for the course, then e-mail that as well.  Your academic advisor can then respond to you via e-mail stating how the course can be applied towards your degree requirements. Make sure to keep any written correspondence from your academic advisor!  If you'd like, you can also forward the e-mail in which your academic advisor states the course approval to the study abroad coordinator so that it can put a copy of the e-mail correspondence in your file so that there is a record of how the course was approved by the advisor. Do NOT throw your syllabi and coursework (papers, projects, etc.) away before you come home. Your academic advisor may ask to see your work for final credit evaluation.

What happens to my transcript?
Some programs will automatically send official transcripts to the Cal Poly Humboldt Study Abroad Coordinator.  In other instances, the student will need to make an official transcript request.  Please check with your program provider or the SA Coordinator if you have questions on how to obtain official transcripts for Cal Poly Humboldt.  Once received by the Registrar's Office your coursework will be added to your record and appear on the DARS report.  If a CTA is on file, coursework will be matched up appropriately.  Any coursework that cannot be matched up may require additional approval via academic advisor or Registrar's Office.

I have more questions...
Please contact the Study Abroad Coordinator in the College of Extended Education and Global Engagement.