Skip to content

Bilateral Exchanges

  • Ashley, ChileAll financial aid (this includes loans, scholarships and grants) can be used on these programs
  • Deadlines - Sept. 15th for Spring departures and March 15th for Fall departures
  • Semester long - some yearlong opportunities.
  • Transfer credit
  • Click here to see all Bilateral Exchanges

HSU has agreements with partner institutions around the world. Students participating in the exchanges pay fees at their home university and study abroad at the host university. These programs are competitive and there is a selection process.  Usually each host institution accepts only one or  two students per semester or year. To give as many students the opportunity to participate in these programs students are usually only accepted for one semester.

Students who participate in these programs are expected to be ambassadors for HSU and help promote the program. You will be expected to sign a Service Agreement that outlines the type of service you are willing to do on your return. Students applying to these programs need to be self-sufficient and self-motivated. You will not be with a large group and will need to buy your own plane ticket and negotiate international airports. Bilateral exchanges offer transfer credit.

Your application will be to the HSU Bilateral Exchange Program - not to the university you wish to attend. After you have created your application, which includes faculty recommendations, a Statement of Purpose and a copy of your unofficial transcripts, you will be required to attend an interview.  There are limited places at the partner institutions and the students we send must represent HSU well. The program needs to have an equal number of students participating from each institution so occasionally you might not be able to go to your first choice university. When you have been accepted to the program you will be able to apply to the host university. The time from acceptance to application to the host university is sometimes very short so you will need to act promptly.

Do not enroll in classes at HSU. Once you have been accepted to the program you will be put into a 'placeholder' class and will remain an HSU student.

Application Process

After you have attended an Informational Meeting:
  1. Click "Login" and start a profile
  2. Apply for a Passport or renew your expiring Passport (Passports must be signed and valid for 6 months beyond your study abroad return date.)
  3. Research programs (find out if it has classes you need, and what the costs are) and fill out a Cost Comparison Worksheet
  4. Meet with the Study Abroad Advisor. To set up an appointment online click here, or call 707 826-4142.
  5. Click “Apply Now” on Application for Bilateral Exchange and complete all required documents, not on the page for your desired program.
  6. Once you are accepted to the HSU Bilateral Exchange Program you must then apply to the university where you have been placed using that university's application process.
  7. Meet with your Academic Advisor (for major coursework) or Transfer and Graduation Counselor in the Registrar's Office (for GE coursework) to get your selected classes approved and complete the Credit Transfer Agreement. Turn it in to CIP.
  8. Follow directions from your host university. During this time you will also want to work on getting your visa (after you have received your acceptance letter), booking your ticket, and arranging your accommodations and arrival. 
  9. Attend the HSU Pre-Departure Orientation. You will receive an email with the dates and times (typically at the end of the semester prior to your departure). 
  10. Have fun (and study hard)!