COVID19 – Please take into consideration the uncertainties that the current corona virus situation has for the exchanges. As information is expected to change, we ask you to check UTU Corona page
regularly for the latest updates. The safety of the students is our top priority, and we do our best to provide as much information and predictability as possible.
The University of Turku
The University of Turku is an internationally competitive university, the operation of which is based on high-quality multidisciplinary research. The University promotes free research and academic education and provides higher education based on research. The University is part of the international academic community and works in collaboration with society.
The basic values of the operation of the University of Turku are ethicality, criticality, creativity, openness and communality. Freedom of education and research prevails at the University and it can independently determine the means to achieve the jointly set goals.
The University of Turku is internationally well-known and recognised in its chosen areas of strength and nationally, it is among the top universities in all of its research fields. The University offers attractive higher education and it forms a network in conjunction with other higher education institutions, public sector research institutions and companies in the region. The University takes an active role in the network.
The History of the University of Turku
Turku is an old university town. In 1640, Queen Christina of Sweden established the third university in Sweden–Finland, the Royal Academy of Turku.
In 1820, J.V. Snellman, Elias Lönnrot and J.L. Runeberg studied in the Academy. Huhtamäki group donated a statue dedicated to these great men. The “Three Witty Men” statue was made by sculptor Harry Kivijärvi and it is situated next to the university’s main building, on the city side.
The only university in the independent Finland was the Swedish speaking University of Helsinki. The Finnish intelligentsia felt it was important that the country should have a new Finnish university. The funds were collected with a public fund-raising and 22,040 people contributed to the cause.
The University of Turku was established in 1920. Back then, the university was formed by the Faculty of Humanities and the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. That year, the university purchased the 1878 built Phoenix hotel, which was situated right at the edge of the market square. Originally the hotel was meant as a temporary lodging but the university ended up staying there for 36 years.
The Faculty of Medicine was established in 1943 to serve a nation in war.
In the 1940’s the university received a notable bequest. Johnsson/Joutsen brothers, sons of a smith from the village of Nummenmäki (nowadays incorporated into the city of Turku), who had made their fortunes on the Klondike gold field in Yukon, Canada.
The brothers had no heirs and Karl Fredrik Joutsen willed his whole fortune, including his stone house and gold findings, to the University of Turku. Thanks to the donation, the university was able to move from the cramped Phoenix hotel to the Ryssänmäki or Vesilinnanmäki Hill. The university’s gold treasure includes gold watches and gold nuggets from Klondike, the largest weighing 240g.
The University is Nationalised in the 1970’s. The Faculty of Law was established in 1960. The Faculty of Social Sciences departed from the Faculty of Humanities in 1967 and in 1974 the Faculty of Education was established.
The private University of Turku was a small institution. It was nationalized in 1974. The university’s expansive years were in the 1960’s but the growth continues still.
The number of degrees is increasing and postgraduate education is made more efficient. Lately, the extramural studies organized by the Brahea Centre for Training and Development, the Open university teaching and the developing of economic life have become even more notable than before.
In 2007, negotiations between the University of Turku and the Turku School of Economics started. The university consortium began its work the 1st of August 2008 and in January 2009 the boards of the consortium universities decided to merge the University of Turku and the Turku School of Economics to a new university starting from January 1st 2010.